Metro New York
New York City is a cultural mosaic full of opportunities to share the gospel. It is the quintessential global city, with hundreds of distinct ethnic groups representing every major world religion. Numerous people groups make up the city's population and many are unreached by the Gospel witness. New York City is crucial and strategic as a focus for Christian mission.
- New York City is home to over 2 million Latinos making it a larger Spanish-speaking city than several Latin American capitals.
- Over 2 million Jews live in Metro New York.
- There are over 800,000 Muslims in Metro New York -- making 1 out of every 10 New Yorkers a Muslim.
- There are over 400,000 Hindus in the New York area with very little Gospel witness to them.
- There are over 650,000 Chinese and 6 different Chinatowns in Metro New York, making it one of the largest concentrations of Chinese outside of Asia.
- Over 300,000 Russians and more than 200,000 Albanians reside in New York City.
- New York is home to over 80,000 Sikhs, more than 70,000 Arabs, and over 70,000 Pakistanis. .
- Metro New York has more college students than any city in North America. While the city boasts some of the most prestigious schools in the U.S., it also has the largest city college system in the country.
- With over 50,000 international students studying in its colleges and universities, New York City hosts more international students than any other city in the United States.
Global Mission Training
Global City Mission Initiative provides opportunities for mission training in a truly global context. GCMI Catalysts begin their ministry with an intensive one-year training cycle in New York City. We call this year long apprenticeship the Equip program. During the one-year internship, participants receive training in evangelistic and church planting practice while engaging in cross-cultural ministry. The emphasis of the apprenticeship is learning by doing. Throughout the year, participants gain experience initiating outreach in an urban community, studying the bible with internationals, training in church planting, forming missionary teams, and are actively mentored by experienced mission leaders. In addition to the Equip experience, our NYC team can help make arrangements for short-term mission trips to NYC in which groups can experience urban evangelism firsthand.